Nigerian businesses can maximize the benefits of mobile communication technology to build customer loyalty and brand awareness by using SMS.
In the first and second parts of this series, we noted that traditional business communication media has continued to dwindle in effectiveness in the face of new media. Most new media have a common attribute of easy accessibility, higher coverage and real-time tracking.
It is usually difficult, for instance, for businesses to measure how many persons saw a handbill or billboard. But this is not so when using mobile communication tools like sending bulk SMS. The universal accessibility and coverage of SMS, combined with its ability to provide information in real time, creates unique opportunities for business brands.
Businesses in Nigeria have to do what is necessary to maximise the gains of mobile technology use. They must join their counterparts all over the world in actively pursuing text messaging to enhance customer engagement, brand awareness and loyalty. With a properly executed bulk SMS strategy. Nigerian entrepreneurs can engage their audience in a non-intrusive way.
Businesses can use Bulk SMS to optimizing customer brand experience by:
- Building brand awareness and acquiring new customers.
- Enhancing customer brand loyalty by stimulating dialogue and interaction.
- Creating and improving the frequency of 1 on 1 communication with customers. This is essential for growing and large-scale enterprises.
- Providing customers and prospects with additional contact options and reaching customers who do not have a smartphone or data plan to make use of mobile apps or web/social media.
- Promoting timely offers and monetising interactions through timely incentivized offers.
- Building purchase intents in prospects and customers through highly targeted campaigns.
- Improving customer service and decreasing spending on call centre set-ups and management.
Granted, the use of bulk SMS does not automatically rule out the relevance of traditional media such as print, radio, television, and web marketing in communicating with potential and existing customers. However, using Bulk SMS helps a great deal in activating these traditional media, enhancing their effectiveness and making them more measurable.
The banking industry is a quintessential illustration of a sector that has effectively integrated SMS into their customer brand optimisation strategy to improve customer services for their existing customers and prospects.